Recovering from Doctors’ visit

It’s amazing, but going to the doctor is an exhausting attempt. I hadn’t been out of the house in 3 weeks. I had to get in the


A person in a wheelchair icon

A person in a wheelchair icon (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

wheelchair and get to my daughter’s car. Most 4 door cars don’t open very can’t get a walker straight into that space so I end up holding on for dear life to the open door with my left arm; trying to stand and turn so I can back into the edge of the car and sit down safely…all done while hanging on to the door and to the wheelchair and then the side of the car. These trips are always something I look forward to and know that I’ll be a little crippled for about 2 days afterward.This time, I had a different problem, trying to sit comfortably and move around with my catheter. Leaving the doctor and again when I got home, I pulled my catheter trying to move in and out of the car and caused myself some pain.


I’m a late night person and wasn’t ready to go to bed until about midnight. As soon as I stood up to transfer from my love seat to my chair my catheter fell out. Shocked and freaking a little, I called the Home Health Care number and the answering service called a nurse for me. Waking someone up, and them having to go to the office to pick up a new catheter and then travel to my house all took about an hour. I had waited for her before moving and then moving from love seat to chair and then to my bedroom and standing with the walker and then getting into the bed all took some time. Add to that the time involved in placing the new catheter and actually getting settled into the bed and before I knew it, it was 2:30 a.m. I can’t lay on my back because of my knees and always lay on my left side. As soon as I was still and trying to go to sleep my leg started aching from hip to lower calf. I couldn’t find a comfortable way to lay and was in constant pain so ended up getting up at 4 a.m. and going back to my loveseat to sit up the rest of the night and try to sleep. Amazing how if it is during the day, I can take a great nap for a couple of hours sitting there, but when I need to sleep, I just doze and can’t seem to really get any sleep or rest.


That pretty much guaranteed I would be tired and crippled on Thursday but occupational therapy which deals with the upper body and arms went very well. I was able to sleep thursday night but still stiff and crippled on friday. Physical therapy came and went well, but I could tell I was going to look forward to my weekend off. I still have to walk across the kitchen on saturday and sunday if that’s all I can manage to do, but the therapists won’t be coming. After another night of rest and sleep I should also be able to do some of my regular therapy exercises on one of those days also. Still making progress despite the exertion setback of the doctors visit and sitting in the wheelchair. So it’s still all good and so…the journey continues.


About estherlou

My husband and I married in 1970. I am the mother of 2 and grandmother to 5. I share my health stories and my experiences with Thrive. I am reading and writing blogs, watching tv, making jewelry and rosaries, selling in my Etsy store and playing solitaire. I am home bound and add in my physical therapy exercises to my daily routine. I will blog about my progress or anything that catches my attention at that moment. See you around and thanks for stopping by!
This entry was posted in thoughts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s