Top Posts & Pages
A young girl, some say with Down’s syndrome, is accused of tearing pages out of a Koran and thus accused of blasphemy. Even in the mixed Christian/Muslim neighborhood, you would think the neighbors would know the girl and realize she was not capable of being deliberate in ‘blasphemies’ against the Koran. Instead, they became a mob of hundreds who demanded her arrest. They then went on a rampage attacking the girl’s family and burning Christian houses. The girl spent 14 days in jail and police suggest the charges might be dropped from lack of evidence.
This has caused worldwide condemnation. But the charge of blasphemy has many times been used vindictively and to target minorities. It has been used to grab land, to settle personal scores and to violate the rights of non-Muslims. Last year a prominent Pakistani politician who pushed for the law to be reformed was gunned down and killed by his own bodyguard. It seems blasphemy covers almost anything.
We can only hope that the urging of world opinion, the US State department and the fact we are a military and political ally that gives billions in annual aid to Pakistan, can sway leniency in this case.
This is just another example of the rage and hatred for human rights that pervades the Muslim mindset. It is amazing they continue to thrive despite the killing of their own women, wives, and children in the name of their god.
- Blasphemous 11-year-old girl in Pakistan may face death (gnosticbent.wordpress.com)
- President Seeks Report On Girl’s Blasphemy Case (rferl.org)
- Christian Girl’s Blasphemy Arrest Incites a Furor in Pakistan (nytimes.com)
- Down’s Syndrome Pakistani girl accused of blasphemy (smh.com.au)
- Disabled Christian girl arrested for blasphemy in Pakistan (timesofmalta.com)
- Zardari seeks report on girl’s blasphemy case (nation.com.pk)
- Girl held on Pakistan blasphemy charge (edition.cnn.com)
- Girl with Down’s syndrome faces death for allegedly burning Koran (english.ruvr.ru)